Followers

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Cassandra Jade and Death's Daughter

Cassandra, thanks for stopping by.
Hi Susan, thanks for the opportunity to visit your blog on my tour.

Tell us a little about yourself.
I’m an Australian, more importantly a Queenslander. I love the sun and warm weather and until recently I lived near the coast. Now I have the beautiful red desert surrounding me. My obsession is teaching and writing gives me a much needed break.

What are your writing goals?
My original writing goal was to just finish a manuscript. The idea of being published was just something I joked about but never really planned to pursue. However, once I finished Death’s Daughter, I realized I really did want to have it out in the world and I guess now it is a challenge to myself to see if I can do it again. I love writing and I loved the whole process of seeing something that I began with a few scribbled notes become complete.

Tell us about your latest book. Is it available in print and e-book formats?

Death’s Daughter is available in e-book only. I’d love to see it in print one day but I think in many ways e-book is better for me because it means that anyone can access it.

Do you think your writing has improved since your first attempt? If so, in what way?

My writing has definitely improved. Working with my editor through the rewrites on Death’s Daughter I loved the opportunity to get real and critical feedback on my writing and with every mistake pointed out and every suggestion, I learned so much about writing. I think I’m more critical of my own writing now and I hope I keep learning about writing and improving.

How do you develop characters? Setting?

I always start with the main character and build the world to suit their needs. They need a problem to face and challenges between standing between them and their goals and the setting needs to accommodate that. As far as developing characters, I like to talk to them in my mind and slowly flesh them out as I get to know them before I begin actually taking any notes on them.

Where do you write? When? What do you have around you?

I write at my computer desk in a shared study. My area is about two metres by two metres and includes the computer desk – covered in print outs, note books, to-be-read paperbacks and various pictures, necklaces and other paraphernalia I’ve dumped there for ‘inspiration’ at one time or another. I like to consider it my creatively messy corner. However, my dictionary and thesaurus sit directly beside the computer tower for easy access at any moment.

After hours of intense writing, how do you unwind?

Writing is my unwinding time. I work for hours at planning lessons, marking papers, writing unit plans, reviewing educational theory and when I am done for the day I need something to help my mind let it all go. Planning and thinking about whatever fantasy land I’m currently creating is the perfect diversion.

Where can folks learn more about your books and events?

People are welcome to visit my blog, http://cassandrajade.wordpress.com, follow me on twitter, http://twitter.com/darkened_jade or they can check out my book, Death’s Daughter: http://www.lyricalpress.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_19&products_id=227

No comments: