Followers

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

J. Daniel Stanfield's Tales of the Faerevold Quittance


My guest today is J. Daniel Stanfield, author of Tales of the Faerevold Quittance.

J. Daniel Stanfield was born and raised in Boise, Idaho. He is a retired U.S. Army Officer. First, he was an enlisted soldier and non-commissioned officer along the former West German-Warsaw Pact border. After receiving his commission, he served in wide variety of Intelligence and Electronic Warfare positions. During his military career, he had the great honor and privilege to lead soldiers, and serve in the Fifth Special Forces Group, with Navy SEAL team 5, and as a Strategic Intelligence Officer for the Supreme Allied Commander Europe. He holds a Masters of Science and Doctorate in Business Administration, and has a passion for the arcane subjects of social and organizational design, grand strategy, and decision-making. He currently lives nears Kansas City, Kansas with his wife Christine and their menagerie of dogs and cats.

Happy New Year, Stan. Thanks for stopping by during this busy time to talk about your book.


Thanks, Susan.
What books came along at just the right time to influence your reading/writing?

The entire writings of Edgar Rice Burroughs; everything from the Tarzan to the John Carter of Mars series. I am also an fan of Asimov (I, Robot is a penultimate Science Fiction story), Robert A Heinlein (especially” Starship Troopers”, “The Cat Who Walks Through Walls and “Friday”, Larry Niven (His Kzin are absolutely fascinating, and I’d like to write about them someday), and of course, J.R.R.Tolkien.

What are your writing goals?

To create stories told well.

What is your most rewarding experience during the writing process?

Allowing my characters their own voices.

Tell us about your latest book. Is it available in print, ebook, and Kindle formats?

It is a hybrid of science fiction and fantasy, and currently only available as an e-book at Smashwords.com

How do you develop characters? Setting?


I am most interested in writing about the nature of mankind’s need for a forgiving God. Hence, my characters are flawed in important ways; others more significantly so.

Do you have specific techniques you use to develop the plot and stay on track?

I first outline, craft screen cards, and then finalize the project.

Describe your ideal reader.

My writings are ideally for college educated professionals between the early twenties and mid sixties.

After hours of intense writing, how do you unwind?

I am a simple man of simple pleasures. I unwind by talking with my wife, watching a decent game of college football, pheasant hunting with my bird dog, a cold beer, wargaming with my pals. Those sorts of things.

Any current projects?

Several are in the queue. I’ve just finished the screen cards for another science fiction-fantasy story. Plus, I have a story from my Army days I need to finish, a few parodies, plus the pre-quell and sequels in the Tales of the Faerevold series.

Where can folks learn more about your books and events?


Go to Smashwords.com and read and review my work. If they like it, I appreciate a recommendation. Interested people can find my events by following me on Twitter @gepaduex and / or gepaduex@blogspot.com

Thanks for telling us more about yourself and your writing. Have a wonderful New Year!

No comments: