Followers

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Sue Midlock's Birthright

Sue Midlock is my guest today.

Welcome, Sue. I’d be fascinated to know more about you.

How many books have you written and in what genre(s)?
I have written one book.  Birthright is Paranormal Romance for young adults.

What books or authors have influenced you? 

I have many authors that have influenced my writing.  If I want something renaissance in my writing, I lean toward Shakespeare.  Dark Love is a good example of that.  When writing Birthright I have to thank Stephanie Meyer, her books were the first ones that actually made me feel as though I was Bella, I felt all the emotions her character was going through and I thought how wonderful that an author could make a reader feel that way.  I wanted Birthright to have that kind of pull.  As for Keri Arthur, she is amazing.  Her character Riley Jensen is so strong and gutsy and a very sensual person. I like strong characters, those who know what they want and are not afraid to get it.You could say that Birthright has a little bit of all of these authors,  the romance, the strong will, determination and pure evil. 

What are your writing goals?  
To write Paranormal Romance books that not only grabs the reader’s attention, but to have them on pins and needles for the next book to come out. 

Tell us more about Birthright, Sue.

 Birthright revolves around three main characters, Candra Rosewood, Kane Smith and Eldon Bennet.  Candra is an only child with a background unbeknownst to her other than the usual, father who works, but it’s not a leave and come home job, mother stays at home.  She doesn’t have a lot of friends because of the sheltered upbringing she has had.  Things start to unravel when her parents die mysteriously and bits of her heritage start to unfold in events that seem to constantly erupt.

It’s a fast read, but at the end of each chapter I have left the reader wanting to know what is to happen next and things do happen quite a lot.  I had to do some slight research as Birthright deals with the subject of “human servant”.  I wanted my storyline to be different than any other vampire book I’ve read.  There is also something very different about Candra, but the reader won’t know until the sequel, but they do get a glimpse that she is something quite more powerful than what her vampire had thought she’d be. 

My characters also have distinct personalities which seem to grow within each chapter.  You could say, “…things are not what they appear to be.”    I wanted them to be different than what I’ve read in this particular genre.  There had to be a strength that could not be denied and yet, a softness when the excitement got to be a bit much for the reader.  There are moments of release, but, only for a short time then the excitement builds again.  Birthright is like the roller-coaster ride everyone talks about, rides and then at the end exclaim how thrilling it was.

It also in two chapters goes back into time.  I know this type of writing tends to be confusing for the reader, but I only kept it to two chapters and very short, it was necessary as you’ll find out, because it doesn’t leave the reader wonder how this person came to be and why.  So it completes the storyline very well.

What is your most rewarding experience during the writing process? 

I never knew what it was like to be an author, to go through all the edits and the waiting.  I only lived through it with my dear friend Mary Deal.  So, when it came to be my turn, I found it exciting!  I didn’t mind changing my whole novel to read in first person, to me it was a learning experience and I loved every moment of it, that and all the edits, corrections and final read through. 

Mary Deal is a cyber buddy of mine as well. What a treat!
Can you tell us about current or future projects? 

 I am currently writing the sequel to Birthright and I’ve also been writing several short stories chronicling the life and times of Hadley Jones, a Dhampir.  These short stories fall under the genre of Erotic Paranormal Romance.  Also, not in the writing department, I’ve been busy creating book covers for Vamplit Publishing, which is located in the Uk,   I am the Artistic Director for them.

Where can folks learn more about your books and events?

They may find me in two places…

Suemydliak.yolasite.com
 (Author website)
http://theunbeatenheart.blogspot.com/ (blog)

Continued success, Sue. Let us know when you have another book.

 



















































































































No comments: