Followers

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

J.A. Fulkerson Discusses Love of Teddy

My guest today is J.A. Fulkerson.  Thank you for letting us get acquainted with you and your writing.

 
When did the writing bug bite, and in what genre(s)? Started in 6th grade. Began in earnest 1984 when I was laid up after a car accident.

When you started writing, what goals did you want to accomplish? Is there a message you want readers to grasp? At first I just wanted to create a novel. With my second novel, FOR LOVE OF TEDDY, I became passionate about writing novels dealing with young people and the problems they face.

Briefly tell us about your latest book. Series or stand-alone? It is a stand-alone, although the premise of writing about young people will be carried out in later books.

What’s the hook for the book? A teenage boy takes on drug dealers in order to save his mentally challenged brother from being taken in.

How do you develop characters? Setting? I have drawn on young people I know or have known, or those I read about in newspapers. Settings are in New Mexico, where I live, and I draw on my knowledge of those places, even if they are actually fictional.

Do you have specific techniques you use to develop the plot and stay on track? Actually I kind of write as things happen, as in real life. I don’t really set out with a “from a to z” formula, even if I end up changing things as the story progresses.

What are your current projects? I am beginning a novel about a young girl in foster care because of parental abuse.

Where can folks learn more about your books and events? My website – www.freewebs.com/thedesertwriter

Continued success, Jo, and thanks again for letting us know about this book.


No comments: