Followers

Monday, April 4, 2011

C.L.Bledsoe's Sunlight

My guest today is C.L. Bledsoe.
Welcome, C.L.   
Tell us a little about yourself.

I grew up on a farm in eastern Arkansas. We raised rice, soybeans, catfish, and cattle, among other things. My father felt there was no real future in farming, so I went to college to study writing. Now, I teach high school English and am a college counselor. My wife and I currently live near Baltimore.
I’ve been writing since I was a little kid and publishing for about 10 years--if you count my first literary journal publication.

What books came along at just the right time to influence your reading/writing?


The Adventures of Tristram Shandy, Gentlemen, by Laurence Sterne. Good Omens, by Neil Gaimen and Terry Pratchett. Crime and Punishment, by Fyodor Doestoyevski. So many others.

What are your writing goals?

I would love to actually make a living writing, but right now, it’s more a side job.

Tell us about Sunlight.


My latest novel is called Sunlight. It tells the story of Sol, a teenage boy who, shortly after the death of his mother, is sent to stay with his aunt and uncle on their sunflower farm in Arkansas. This is where his mom grew up, and once he gets there, he realizes that the story she used to tell him as a bedtime story might actually be true.

In what formats is it available?



 It was just released as an ebook by etopia press.

How do you develop characters? Setting?

I like to get my characters moving around and interacting in situations--that’s how I really get to know ‘who they are.’ I work from outlines, usually, but when I leave the outline and have the characters really start acting and speaking as they should--that’s when I figure out who they really are. With settings, I try to focus on important details--enough so the reader gets a sense of place, but not too much so the reader drowns.

Describe your ideal reader.

Someone willing to put behind preconceptions and enjoy a piece of writing.

After hours of intense writing, how do you unwind?

I watch movies, go for walks; anything to step away from the story.

Any current projects?

I just signed a contract for a novella based on my experiences in a punk band when I was in my late teens/early 20s. I’m also working on a supernatural mystery series set in a morgue in Baltimore.

Where can folks learn more about your books and events?

clbledsoe.blogspot.com  
            

No comments: