Followers

Monday, September 5, 2011

Cynthia Vespia: Demon Hunter


My special guest today is Cynthia Vespia, author of Demon Hunter. Welcome to the blog, Cynthia!
Thanks, Susan.
What has been your most rewarding experience during the writing process?
It is always most rewarding to hear reader feedback, that's why I write. But during the writing process it becomes very rewarding to have the story tell itself. What I mean by that is the flow. When it is effortless enough that it feels like I'm reading it myself or when the story takes a different turn that I wasn't expecting. That's what brings me joy.
Tell us about your latest release, DEMON HUNTER: HEROES CALL
This is part three in the Demon Hunter trilogy. The final act calls for a test of will for the protagonist Costa. Since we met him in part one THE CHOSEN ONE, he was just coming into his skills as a demon hunter. In part two SEEK and DESTROY he had become more seasoned. And now when we visit him he has quietly stepped out of the life to tend to his family until danger once again comes knocking on his door. I really pushed him this time and challenged his choices. Does he take the same path or choose a different one. The thing about Demon Hunter has always been the underlying “demons” we all face in our own minds and daily lives. Those things that tell us we aren't good enough, smart enough, strong enough. Those demons are more dangerous than any physical being. This is what Costa faces head on in HEROES CALL...himself. It is available as an ebook on August 29th, 2011.
What are some of the problems you faced while plotting a series with ongoing characters?
Growth mostly. It is important that these characters develop not only within the pages of the novel that they're in but the ongoing series itself. Realistically people change all the time. Through different experiences lives are shaped and character traits are born. When you're putting your characters through these extreme situations the way I did in the Demon Hunter series then they are going to be changed in some form or another...sometimes even physically. These are the things you want to keep in mind when going from book to book in a series. Then on the flip side I also like to make sure that they can stand alone as well. If someone picks up Demon Hunter 3: Heroes Call without having read 1 or 2 they are still going to get a great fantasy adventure that doesn't leave them confused on who these characters are or what the backstory is. 
How do you develop characters?
Developing characters is my favorite part about writing. You get to create the way you were created. If anyone has ever played The Sims it is a bit like that. You get to build your character from the ground up and decide what they look like, act like, work as, moral codes, values...everything. I make sure my characters fit my world. Even if I'm working on a contemporary piece I want them to react and behave like people really would given these situations...no matter how extreme. For Demon Hunter I wanted a trio of characters that all balanced each other. Each was different and unique which brought a sense of wholeness to this group as they went out on the stages of adventure put before them. This way the reader can find themselves able to relate to what is going on. I think that is the basis of good character building. Even if it is a villain, they need to be relateable in some way.
What are your protagonist’s strengths? Flaws?
Costa Calabrese comes from a long line of demon hunters. He has inherited skills such as strength, agility, intuition, as well as the gift of foresight. In other words sometimes he will dream things before they happen or have visions like premonitions.
His flaws come from just being human. None of us are perfect.
How does your environment/upbringing color your writing?
I used to read a lot when I was very little. Those stories are what initially sparked my interest in writing and shaped my writing voice. Since then it has taken on a life of its own.
Can you tell us about current or future projects?
I can tell you that I'm working on two different thriller series, one about a hitman and the other about a private investigator team. There will also be more from the demon hunter saga in the future.
Where can folks learn more about your books and events?
You can find me at www.CynthiaVespia.com; www.facebook.com/cynthia.vespia; and www.twitter.com/cynfulcharm

I wish you continued success, Cynthia. Keep those great books coming!

1 comment:

cynfulcharm said...

Thanks for having me Susan!
Due to unforseen circumstances Demon Hunter: Heroes Call has been delayed.
Now would be a great time to catch up with Demon Hunter 1: The Chosen One and Demon Hunter 2: Seek & Destroy!
You can find all this and more at www.CynthiaVespia.com